Tuesday, April 1, 2008

At Caroline's Request

Caroline, This isn't my favorite recipe but it's the one I use for asparagus cheese soup. I've also sub'd low sodium chicken broth for the milk. I think the gang prefers that. I'm always happy to share any recipes if folks want them.

Asparagus Cheese Soup
Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c flour, all-purpose
1 tb salt
1 dash nutmeg, freshly grated
1 dash pepper
1/2 qt milk
20 oz asparagus; cooked, drained and diced
3 c cheese, cheddar; shredded

Topping
Paprika
Grated cheddar or Parmesan

Instructions:
Melt butter and blend in flour, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Add asparagus and Cheddar cheese and continue to stir until cheese melts.
To serve, garnish with paprika and a little more shredded Cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan cheese.

SOURCE: Southern Living Magazine, November 1972.

And now for the rest of the story: I cut the tips off of the asparagus after steaming and put the stems in processor to chunk them up. (Love my terminology?) then add the tips whole. I also add real bacon bits to the topping. I've never used Parmesan in the topping - it just didn't seem to be a good fit.

5 comments:

SOUL said...

now i'm even hungrier than i was when i got here--
send some my way?

why am i always hungry??
think i have a tapeworm??/

happy tuesday!

i gotta try that soup sometime!

Suzie said...

have you tried using an immersion blender rather than a blender....it's a lot of fun and less to clean

Mary said...

Soul, I wish you'd been here to help us eat the soup. It isn't a favorite of mine but the gang seems to like it so that's good enough for me.

Suzie, I have to get another immersion blender. I had one that I used a lot - hubby started using it to blend fish/reef food and I just can't bring myself to use it for human food. Maybe silly on my part but old farts like me are set in their ways.

Summer said...

Thank you! That sounds wonderful, now I wonder who would eat it besides me? Hmmm. What's an immersion blender?

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

that does sound soooo good! between soup and Andrew's cinnamon roll mention, I am just sweating for sweets!
sweeting?
sweating?

I give up.
I'm off to call my son's doctor..when you 'have a feeling 'bout something" I wonder how accurate it may be..

Pray.
Always,
Elizabeth

I can't wait to make this soup!!
Soap.
:) hahah