Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Day in the Life Of........

Valentine Day was short lived at our house. I had the most beautiful card on my keyboard when I got up. Harry always has the perfect cards for me. All was quiet, coffee steaming, kitty purring, and the old folks were content. Then it happened - the phone call.

My DIL (the grandson's mom) was in real distress this morning. She was unable to walk, bad headache, and nausea. My son called and of course Harry and I took the boys. The oldest went on to school and I picked him up after his Valentine party. The youngest developed a problem with his eyes as the morning wore on. (Pink Eye) Mommy and Daddy are at the emergency room where Mommy is having more tests than I can count. CAT scan, x-ray, EKG, blood work and more. It was a long day. The boys were with us and they managed to stay busy and not worry. It's normal for them to spend the day here so things seemed normal to them. The medical community let Mommy go home with meds.

When Mommy was tucked in at home I went to their house to manage things while Daddy took the youngest son to the doctor for his eyes. They came home with meds for pink eye. My son had class tonight and the professor was doing a cursive review for finals so I pushed him out of the house to attend class. I had no problem managing the boys and Mommy. When Daddy came home I rushed home to watch Lost.

We're not 100% sure what is going on with Mommy but there are no tumors and tests look OK. At this point they are calling it "an inner ear problem" and have given her meds for vertigo and nausea. Time will tell - We pray that it will respond in a day or so.

Never know what the next day will bring. Right?? Even with all the rushing and confusion we still have many things to be thankful for.


Summer said...

Let us know how she's doing. I hope you have a happy Friday.

C.A. said...

Thank God for Grandparents! Is this the DIL who's expecting, Mary?

Hoping things are calmer in your world and that everyone is feeling much better today.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cindi Ann

SOUL: said...

hope the family is feeling better soon.. let us know how everyone is.

hope you have a good/quiet evening-

Mary said...

DIL is some better - guess the meds are controling symptoms somewhat. No, this is the grandson's mother not the DIL who's expecting - thank heavens for that! I have hopes that things will be more settled by Monday.

Cheryl said...

Thank goodness you were there to help out. My daughter needed me half way through Lost and I had to turn it off. I'll be doing some catching up!

Mary said...

Oh, Cheryl. I'm sorry you have another crisis. I do hope this one concerns something like not having the right shoes for the outfit and that it's NOT a repeat of the last time. Thinking of you.

simonsays said...

I hope that the dr's have gotten to the bottom of DIL's problem, it seems that so often, things just go undiagnosed and we never really know what the problem is, that must have been so scary for her.

It is so wonderful that you are near to help them - I'm sure they are so very grateful, too.

I hope you have a good day/weekend, I am so psyched for the Daytona tomorrow!


Mary said...

We're doing OK Papa and I are fine. The sick and infirm are improving.

Everything here is geared for the Daytona 500. Life as we know it is on hold and every eye glued to the set.


YIKES! your poor DIl...reminds me of what my mil has..."manures." :)
I hope she's okay..that's so scary!

You are such a good grandma! And you just go and do and don't wait for them to ask for help, right? I hope to be like you someday..
that's wonderful that you are the way you are, if only all Gma's could be like that, it would make life easier on the Dil's and sil's for certain!