Thursday, October 9, 2008

One Day in the Life of an Old Woman

What a day this has been. The latest in a procession of contractors was here on time and ready to repair the floor in the Master Bath. (The simple fix.) Both Harry and I like the young man who owns the company and his work is excellent. No bull - just professional and ready to do the job. While he and his crew were doing the work he spotted a major trouble spot. (Keep in mind that a home inspector, Orkin, insulation removal crew, and the fellow who installed piers under the reef tanks all very recently said all was sound under the house except for the small place in the Master Bath.) This contractor came and told me that I didn't need to be thinking about cosmetic upgrades right now because I have a serious problem. He had to show me to make me believe him. He was 100% correct. My central unit (heat and air) has had a leak in the condensation line for a long time. It isn't apparent except when you remove the filter and another gizmo but the whole floor under the unit is rotten - not damaged but out and out rotten. I don't know why the unit hasn't fallen to the ground. We don't know how far the damage goes but this won't be a simple job nor will it be pretty. This didn't begin recently. Needless to say, I'm very discouraged. I don't know how this will play out with the holidays, but it will have an impact. I'll have one big pity party and then just get over it and get on with what has to be done.

On a happy note, my sofa was back from the shop with new upholstery. It is really nice. The fellow told me that the frame is solid oak put together with dove tails and screws. Good to know. As soon as I get things in place and in some manner of order I'll post pictures.

Last, but not least - I had a big fall this evening. Boy did it happen fast and it hurt like everything. My right knee is hurting again. It's the knee that had a serious injury a few years ago. Well, again, I'll just get over it and get on with life. Harry, on the other hand was really, really frightened. I was so glad he didn't start wanting me to go to the emergency room - I really don't need to.

If you've read all this post, you're ready for a nap. Sorry. I'll be fine. Really I will.

Hope all is smooth in your world.

5 comments:

C.A. said...

OMG, Mary, I hope you are alright! Thank goodness you didn't break anything. That's awful about the floor, but a blessing that he found it before the unit actually DID fall through.

I hope you are ache and pain free from the fall very soon....

Hugs!

C.A.

Brad said...

Ouch - I hope it's not more painful this morning but I suspect it is.

unsolicited advice: If you've had the unit serviced the tech should have caught a plugged condensate drain line. If you have had someone out I'd call them and ask for some sort of remedy. At the least they should come back for free and fix the clogged line.

Hopefully this whole thing will be a little bump in the road.

That's wild about the sofa being made with oak & dove tails - that is TRUE quality! I didn't think anyone did that anymore!

Happy Weekend!

happyone said...

Oh that is not good news!!

So sorry to hear about your falling. I hope your feeling better real soon.

Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! I am so sorry about the HVAC problem, but that can be repaired without too much fuss, but that floor is another situation. We had dirt dobbers to build a nest in the condensation drain, but fortunately hubby discovered it before we had any water damage.

I hope your knee will be okay. When you take a spill like that it is just trama to you entire body.

Summer said...

You poor baby. How's the knee feeling this morning? Did you fall because it gave way? I am empathizing with you this morning. Totally.