Saturday, October 6, 2007

Just Ramblin' On

It's Saturday night and we're doing what old farts do - watch a TV movie, hubby goes to bed, and I read for awhile. Since I started the blog I usually spend some time blogging and then read. In case you haven't noticed I don't sleep well. It's always been a problem for me even as a young child.

We're still having a drought here. It seems to rain to the north, south, east, and west of our little corner of the world. We haven't had any really cool weather yet and the leaves are turning brown. I think we'll have a dull fall - no bright colors on our mountain this season. (Folks here call it a mountain but it's really just a ridge and not a very big one at that.)

This afternoon I watched the squirrel that leaves his food and comes to steal from our birdfeeders. He is a healthy little cuss and well he should be. Nuts, fruit, corn, seeds, and suet are his diet. When he leaves his cheeks are full and his tummy is bulging. Thinking of the birdfeeders reminds me of one stop on our vacation this year.

We drove around the coast of Florida and while we were in Key West we took a boat trip out to the Dry Tortugas. It's a small island to the south just 90 miles from Cuba. The whole island is covered by an old fort and that is now a wildlife preserve. We were there during migration of birds from Central and South America to our main land. The birds were not afraid of visitors and would land right at your feet. Hubby went for a walk around the island and I opted to sit in the shade and watch the birds. When I sat still for a few minutes they came to perch on the bench where I was sitting - a pretty little black and yellow job lit on my shoulder and looked straight into my eyes. I would have liked to feed them but it's a no-no.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on and on putting words to my disjointed thoughts. Me thinks me will read for awhile and then try to sleep more than 4 hours tonight.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

No rain here either. It's so, so dry. The leaves are just falling, brown. Your ridge must be beautiful in the fall, when we don't have a drought. Maybe there's still hope? The trees are just turning here, a little color.

I like ramblin' posts. Mine often turn that way.

Happy Monday.