Thursday, October 11, 2007

Makin' Applebutter

At long last we had a reasonably cool day. I wish Sir Fall would get on with his best possible performance based on circumstances. Everyone I talk to here is tired of the heavy heat and dry weather.

One of my long-time friends from the mountains called me today. Several of my old friends are getting together to go to Rogersville, Tennessee, to an applebutter stir-off. I wish I could go but it just isn't possible. I'll be thinking of them. The applebutter stir-off was a favorite time for me. The apples cooked in big cooper kettles over an open fire. Everyone contributed apples and helped pare them while the men folk got the fire going just right. Then we took turns stirring the kettles (three kettles makes a stir-off) with big wooden paddles. When Mrs. Bell said they were done, we'd ladle them into hot jars and seal the top. Someone would bake hot biscuits at various times during the day in a wood stove oven that was in the shed. (I took a turn at that, too.) We'd eat buttered biscuits with applebutter until we could eat no more. Hey, someone had to sample the product to be sure it was good enough to eat. There were always a few kids playing around but they were well behaved and fun to watch. That part of my life is a closed chapter but I do enjoy talking with my old friends and reliving those years. One thing I've learned during my years is that you can dream but you can never go back. And I really wouldn't want to. I have a close to perfect life now and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

Geez, I sound sappy. I'm goin' to bed 'cause mornin' will have to come early for me tomorrow.

3 comments:

C.A. said...

I love the thought of an applebutter stir off! Now my tummy is growling for fresh biscuits with real butter topped with fresh homemade apple butter. Sigh. Fall has not come as usual this year.

SOUL said...

makes me hungry...i can't remember the last time i even ate apple butter.

Cheryl said...

I hope you get some cooler weather. We finally got it and it feels good. All the apple festivals are starting and I love going to them. I've never heard of an applebutter stir off.